Research Associate I in Frederick, MD
Research Associate I
Job ID: req1689
Employee Type: exempt full-time
Facility: Frederick: Ft Detrick
Location: PO Box B, Frederick, MD 21702 USA
The Frederick National Laboratory is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and operated by Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The lab addresses some of the most urgent and intractable problems in the biomedical sciences in cancer and AIDS, drug development and first-in-human clinical trials, applications of nanotechnology in medicine, and rapid response to emerging threats of infectious diseases.
Our core values of accountability, compassion, collaboration, dedication, integrity, and versatility serve as a guidepost for how we do our work every day in serving the public's interest.
The AIDS and Cancer Virus Program (ACVP) is an integrated, multidisciplinary program that pursues basic and applied studies aimed at improving our understanding of AIDS-associated viruses, including studies intended to facilitate the improved diagnosis, prevention and treatment of HIV infection and AIDS, and AIDS related tumors, particularly those associated with other viruses such as KSHV. The Program consists of five independent but highly interactive research Sections headed by Principal Investigators, whose work spans from fundamental molecular virology through in vitro studies, to in vivo studies in non-human primate (NHP) models, to international viral epidemiology. The ACVP also has eight Research Support Core Groups (Cores) that provide critical and often unique technical support capabilities to ACVP laboratories and other laboratories within the NCI and NIH, and to extramural investigators.
We are looking for a Research Associate I to join our dynamic, interactive, multidisciplinary research team studying the establishment, maintenance, and consequences of persistent HIV-1 infection and AIDS-related non-lentiviral infections.
The successful candidate will be able to work well in a small team environment, consistently follow detailed protocols and instructions, and keep careful records. Specific duties will include:
- After an initial training period, work independently in a laboratory setting
- Mammalian cell culture, including culturing cells producing or infected with replication-competent SIV, HIV, or related viruses
- Handle blood- and tissue-derived nonhuman primate specimens from animals infected with SIV, SHIV, or stHIV
- Nucleic acid extractions and quantitative PCR-based analyses on nonhuman primate blood- and tissue-specimens
- Maintain laboratory supplies and order as needed
- Maintain detailed laboratory notes and sample inventories
- Analyze data
- Other duties as assigned
- Possession of Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or four (4) years relevant experience in lieu of degree. Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency
- In addition to the educational requirements, a minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible experience
- Ability to independently carry out experimental procedures and perform troubleshooting to ensure the timely completion of overall project goals
- Competent with computer operations including Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Powerpoint
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Prior experience performing mammalian cell culture
- Prior experience performing nucleic acid extractions and/or PCR-based techniques
- Prior experience working with specimens containing infectious HIV/SIV or other infectious agents that are handled under Biosafety Level 2 biocontainment
- Prior experience working with specimens derived from nonhuman primates and/or humans
- This position is subject to working with or have potential for exposure to animal(s) and/or animal material(s)
- This position is subject to working with or have potential for exposure to infectious material, requiring medical clearance and immunizations
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug Free Workplace (DFW)
Apply on company website