Research Associate I (Multiplex) in Frederick, MD
Research Associate I (Multiplex)
Job ID: req1429
Employee Type: exempt part-time
Facility: Frederick: Ft Detrick
Location: PO Box B, Frederick, MD 21702 USA
The Frederick National Laboratory is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and operated by Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The lab addresses some of the most urgent and intractable problems in the biomedical sciences in cancer and AIDS, drug development and first-in-human clinical trials, applications of nanotechnology in medicine, and rapid response to emerging threats of infectious diseases.
Our core values of accountability, compassion, collaboration, dedication, integrity, and versatility serve as a guidepost for how we do our work every day in serving the public's interest.
PART - TIME OPPORTUNITY!
The Clinical Services Program's mission is to perform sequential studies using samples obtained from patients with cancer, AIDS, chronic granulomatous disease or other diseases associated with immunologic dysfunction. The Clinical Support Laboratory (CSL) provides dedicated support to clinical investigators in the Center for Cancer Research (CCR) of NCI. Services include specimen processing and testing in support of clinical trials as well as testing in support of investigator initiated basic research. The laboratory also provides dedicated support to specific programs/projects sponsored by the Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, NCI and the Division of Clinical Research, NIAID. The CSL also provides shared service support that is available to other NIH investigators.
Description/basic function: Primary responsibilities include the testing of human blood samples obtained from cancer patients enrolled in NIH-sponsored clinical trials. Using serum, plasma, & other matrices, the successful candidate will be responsible for performing multiplex immunoassays using state of the art platforms of MesoScale (MSD) and Luminex platforms. The candidate will work in a timeline-driven environment that requires the ability to work simultaneously on multiple and diverse projects involving protein biomarkers in clinical research, patient testing (CLIA); and manufacturing material (GxP). Additional responsibilities may include developing ELISA and immunogenicity assays for ADA, PK.
This is a Half-time (20 hrs) position with full benefits.
Desired background in performing immunoassays;
- Accurate entry of sample information into the laboratory sample accession system and other databases
- Maintain inventory of sample aliquots withdrawn
- Accurate data recording
- Ordering and restocking of laboratory areas as assigned, routine cleaning of laboratory work areas and equipment, and maintaining related documentation
- Secondary responsibilities may involve sample processing, cell culture, or nucleotide extraction
- Work involves exposure to potentially infectious human, and non-human primate blood and blood products
- Potential for exposure to hazardous biological agents, exposure to potentially hazardous chemicals is a possibility
- Laboratory work requires the use of personal protective equipment and adherence to strict safety protocols and will be conducted in BSL-2 laboratory areas
- Work involves rapid mental/muscular coordination, good vision and ability to multitask
- May also involve standing, walking, climbing, working alone or closely with others.
- Attention to detail, and the ability to work accurately and follow established Standard Operating Procedures with a reproducible outcome
- Knowledge of general laboratory skills and ability to organize workflow
- Must be able to demonstrate proficiency with computers and accurately enter information into database programs.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25lbs
- Possession of a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university in a field related to biomedical research or four (4) years equivalent experience in the appropriate field in lieu of degree
- Foreign educated candidates who have completed part or all of their education outside of the United States must have their foreign education evaluated by a company-approved accrediting organization to assure that it has met the equivalency of the qualifications of degree work in the United States
- In addition to educational requirements, a minimum of two (2) years of job-related biomedical experience.
- Working knowledge of systems utilized and program principles such as: Basic subject matter of specialty area (i.e., biochemistry, immunology, cell biology, etc.); advanced data reporting techniques; and basic laboratory techniques germane to the specialty area (i.e. Lab bench experiments, safety procedures, instrument operation, etc.)
- Experience with multiplex immunoassays Luminex and/or MSD as well as a demonstrated ability to trouble shoot assays
- This position is subject to working with or have potential for exposure to animal(s) and/or animal material(s)
- This position is subject to working with or have potential for exposure to infectious material, requiring medical clearance and immunizations
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug Free Workplace (DFW)
Apply on company website